Here is the story of how Logan joined us on May 19th starting with my last check up on the 17th.
If you asked me, I would have never thought I would be going to see my doc for my 41 week check-up. I was so convinced that he was going to be about three weeks early. Not sure why I thought this, but I was certain. So I sit waiting for encouraging news from the doc since last week I was only dilated to one centimeter. After the exam she was excited to tell me that I had made it to three and a half centimeters. She was also contemplating breaking my water so that I could have my VBAC instead of the scheduled c-section on the 19th. She decided against it though because she thought my body was ready to do this all on it's own. Home I went. Progress. No baby.
We were at home on the 18th trying to get Tyler down for his nap. The phone rings at 2:00pm. It was my doc. She had been thinking about my appointment and progress from the day before. She really wanted to break my water. She told me she had called the charge nurse at the hospital and secured me a bed but I needed to get there ASAP so I didn't lose my chance. We packed up the last of our things, grabbed Tyler and drove him to my parents house. Off to the hospital we went.
I was admitted around 3:30 and we waited. The doc finally came to see me at 5:45. She did an exam and found that I had progressed to four centimeters. She broke my water and we waited again. Around 7:00 I was told I needed to get up and walk the halls to move things along as I was not making progress. Morgan and I paced one way down the hall and back again off and on for a little over and hour. We waited for me to be checked again. The nurse kept saying the longer we wait the better the news would be, so we waited. I was checked again at 10:30 and had made it to five centimeters. The doc reminded me that I could not deliver this baby anytime between 8 and 10 am because she would be unavailable. I asked if she was serious, would labor really last that long (keep in mind I have not gone through any of this before - Tyler was a c-section). She told me she was serious and I was in for a long night.
The nurse got the jacuzzi ready for me so that I could relax in a warm tub. Boy did that help. I highly recommend in to anyone and everyone. I stayed in there for an hour laboring away. The nurse told me that the relaxation of the hot water and jets is sometimes enough to get some women to the delivery point. She was excited to have me get checked. I made my way very slowly back to the room. The contractions got much more intense as soon as I got out of the tub. I was checked at midnight and had made it to seven centimeters. A handful more of unbearable contractions and I was begging for an epidural. The anesthesiologist was notified. A few more contractions and I couldn't resist the urge to push. I literally could not stop myself from pushing. Morgan ran to get the doctor and I was checked again. In the twenty minutes since I was last checked I had made it to ten centimetres and the doc could see Logan's head. It was time!
I never had the chance to get my epidural it all happened so quickly. The doc and a couple of nurses scrambled to get everything ready while I was pushing. I pushed for twelve minutes though about seven contractions and Logan was born. I feel sorry for anyone in the maternity ward that night that had to listen to all of my screaming. I didn't know I had it in me to be so loud. It helped me get through it all though. I got my VBAC and made it through a drug free delivery. Two things I wasn't sure I would ever be able to do. I am thankful for the opportunity, my strength and all the support and encouragement I got from Morgan.
Logan Patrick Hall
Born May 19th, 2010 at 12:39 am
8 pounds 7 ounces
22 inches long
If you asked me, I would have never thought I would be going to see my doc for my 41 week check-up. I was so convinced that he was going to be about three weeks early. Not sure why I thought this, but I was certain. So I sit waiting for encouraging news from the doc since last week I was only dilated to one centimeter. After the exam she was excited to tell me that I had made it to three and a half centimeters. She was also contemplating breaking my water so that I could have my VBAC instead of the scheduled c-section on the 19th. She decided against it though because she thought my body was ready to do this all on it's own. Home I went. Progress. No baby.
We were at home on the 18th trying to get Tyler down for his nap. The phone rings at 2:00pm. It was my doc. She had been thinking about my appointment and progress from the day before. She really wanted to break my water. She told me she had called the charge nurse at the hospital and secured me a bed but I needed to get there ASAP so I didn't lose my chance. We packed up the last of our things, grabbed Tyler and drove him to my parents house. Off to the hospital we went.
I was admitted around 3:30 and we waited. The doc finally came to see me at 5:45. She did an exam and found that I had progressed to four centimeters. She broke my water and we waited again. Around 7:00 I was told I needed to get up and walk the halls to move things along as I was not making progress. Morgan and I paced one way down the hall and back again off and on for a little over and hour. We waited for me to be checked again. The nurse kept saying the longer we wait the better the news would be, so we waited. I was checked again at 10:30 and had made it to five centimeters. The doc reminded me that I could not deliver this baby anytime between 8 and 10 am because she would be unavailable. I asked if she was serious, would labor really last that long (keep in mind I have not gone through any of this before - Tyler was a c-section). She told me she was serious and I was in for a long night.
The nurse got the jacuzzi ready for me so that I could relax in a warm tub. Boy did that help. I highly recommend in to anyone and everyone. I stayed in there for an hour laboring away. The nurse told me that the relaxation of the hot water and jets is sometimes enough to get some women to the delivery point. She was excited to have me get checked. I made my way very slowly back to the room. The contractions got much more intense as soon as I got out of the tub. I was checked at midnight and had made it to seven centimeters. A handful more of unbearable contractions and I was begging for an epidural. The anesthesiologist was notified. A few more contractions and I couldn't resist the urge to push. I literally could not stop myself from pushing. Morgan ran to get the doctor and I was checked again. In the twenty minutes since I was last checked I had made it to ten centimetres and the doc could see Logan's head. It was time!
I never had the chance to get my epidural it all happened so quickly. The doc and a couple of nurses scrambled to get everything ready while I was pushing. I pushed for twelve minutes though about seven contractions and Logan was born. I feel sorry for anyone in the maternity ward that night that had to listen to all of my screaming. I didn't know I had it in me to be so loud. It helped me get through it all though. I got my VBAC and made it through a drug free delivery. Two things I wasn't sure I would ever be able to do. I am thankful for the opportunity, my strength and all the support and encouragement I got from Morgan.
Logan Patrick Hall
Born May 19th, 2010 at 12:39 am
8 pounds 7 ounces
22 inches long



1 comment:
He's beautiful! I am so happy for all of you.
Post a Comment